Performance-based Hiring for Managers Online Workshop
Looking for our Recruiter Companion Course? Click Here
- Dates, Times & Cost
Lou Adler's Performance-based Hiring for Managers Workshop Online
Cost Options: $675 (Includes 1-year membership with 24/7 access to our eLearning Center, Performance Profile Wizard, Recordings, Hiring Tools and more.) Group rates are available.
Full Course: Three two-hour courses
Full Course: Starts August 4th, 2017 (includes all 3 classes listed below)
Class Modules by date:
- Module 1: Overview and Preparing the Performance-based Job Description, Aug 4 at 8am PDT/GMT-8 (same as Module 1 in Recruiter course)
- Module 2: The Performance-based Phone Screen and Quality of Hire Talent Scorecard - Part 1, Aug 18 at 8am PDT/GMT-8 (same as Module 3 in Recruiter course)
- Module 3: The Complete Performance-based Interview and Assessment Process - Part 2, Aug 25 at 10:30am PDT/GMT-8
Full Course: Starts September 8th, 2017 (includes all 3 classes listed below)
Class Modules by date:
- Module 1: Overview and Preparing the Performance-based Job Description, Sep 8 at 8am PDT/GMT-8 (same as Module 1 in Recruiter course)
- Module 2: The Performance-based Phone Screen and Quality of Hire Talent Scorecard - Part 1, Sep 22 at 8am PDT/GMT-8 (same as Module 3 in Recruiter course)
- Module 3: The Complete Performance-based Interview and Assessment Process - Part 2, Sep 29 at 10:30am PDT/GMT-8
Full Course: Starts October 6th, 2017 (includes all 3 classes listed below)
Class Modules by date:
- Module 1: Overview and Preparing the Performance-based Job Description, Oct 6 at 8am PDT/GMT-8 (same as Module 1 in Recruiter course)
- Module 2: The Performance-based Phone Screen and Quality of Hire Talent Scorecard - Part 1, Oct 20 at 8am PDT/GMT-8 (same as Module 3 in Recruiter course)
- Module 3: The Complete Performance-based Interview and Assessment Process - Part 2, Oct 27 at 10:30am PDT/GMT-8
Full Course: Starts November 3rd, 2017 (includes all 3 classes listed below)
Class Modules by date:
- Module 1: Overview and Preparing the Performance-based Job Description, Nov 3 at 8am PDT/GMT-8 (same as Module 1 in Recruiter course)
- Module 2: The Performance-based Phone Screen and Quality of Hire Talent Scorecard - Part 1, Dec 1 at 8am PST/GMT-8 (same as Module 3 in Recruiter course)
- Module 3: The Complete Performance-based Interview and Assessment Process - Part 2, Dec 8 at 10:30am PST/GMT-8
"…Your work on performance-based hiring is a genuine bright spot…I am blown away by how closely your ideas map to the new science. I actually think performance-based hiring is the secret sauce to getting not only better talent management, but also to being able to ensure that we live up to our promise of opportunity in the 21st century."
Todd Rose, Harvard Professor, Director – Center for Individual Performance, Author of The End of Average
This course is the foundational workshop for every hiring manager who wants to hire top talent. It’s based on Lou Adler’s more than 30 years in the recruiting industry on what it takes to hire a great person and the role of the hiring manager. The program is built around these four Performance-based Hiring principles:
Principle One: To hire a great person you need to offer a great job.
A great job is not a lists of skills and experiences wrapped around a generic employer brand. It’s a clear description of what the person needs to do to be considered a great hire and why it’s a compelling career move. In this course, hiring managers learn how to create these great jobs.
Principle Two: The strongest people need to be attracted in, not weeded out.
The best people don’t look for work the same way average people do. In most cases these people are found through proactive networking and sophisticated marketing campaigns. During this workshop, hiring managers understand their role in helping their HR and recruiting teams source this level of candidate quality.
Principle Three: The interview is far more than a assessment tool. It’s the hub of the entire hiring process.
The Performance-based Interview covered in this program represents a complete discovery process used to accurately assess competency and to demonstrate to the most highly sought-after candidates your opening represents a true career move. The Performance-based Interview is simple to learn, easy to implement and unmatched in achieving these results.
Principle Four: Recruiting is not selling the candidate, it’s getting the candidate to sell you.
The best candidates – whether active or passive – are very discriminating. Getting them to see your opening as a career move is how you close the offer on growth and impact rather than compensation. Hiring managers learn how use the Performance-based Interview to set up the recruiting process.
The Top 10 Things You’ll Learn in the Course
- How to work with recruiters and which ones not to work with
- Preparing performance-based job descriptions
- How to convert jobs into career opportunities
- Conducting the Two-question Performance-based Interview
- Organizing the interview for optimum results
- The five things you must not do when interviewing passive candidates
- The legal side of interviewing
- Assessing culture and fit
- Maximize assessment accuracy using the Quality of Hire Talent Scorecard
- Creating the “30% Solution” career opportunity
This program is approved for HRCI recertification credits.
What You'll Receive
In addition to a copy of The Essential Guide for Hiring & Getting Hired, all attendees receive a comprehensive course workbook, a copy of our Performance-based Interview guide, samples of Performance Profiles, access to our 60-minute audio MP3 of The Basic One-Question Interview, our laminated and pocket-sized Performance-based Hiring Hot Tips cards, and 1 year of 24/7 Access to our eLearning Center.
If you want to start hiring more top people tomorrow, this is the one course that all line managers should take today. Contact us to learn more.
"Lou Adler's Hiring Training for Managers has been essential for Valero in improving the interviewing skills of managers. Our managers have embraced the principles taught by Lou and the end result is higher quality candidates being hired."
-D.H., Valero Energy
The onsite course is available in Half-day or Full-day, in-person training.
The online course is instructor led and consists of two, two-hour modules representing the new standard for delivering high-quality state-of-the-art management training. The course is interactive, fact-paced, and impactful. Here are the hot topics covered in each course:
- Why you need to hire top performers, not top candidates. Top candidates look sharp, sound sharp, and make great presentations. Unfortunately, presentation doesn't predict performance. Complicating matters further, top performers don't look for new jobs nor accept offers using the same decision criteria as top candidates. Understanding and managing the differences is the first step in hiring more top people.
- Understanding the real job. Top people want better jobs and better careers. Converting traditional job descriptions into compelling career opportunities is the first step in attracting and assessing top performers.
- The Performance-based Interview. Interviewing is easy when everyone on the hiring team understands real job needs. It's even easier using our famous two-question behavioral interview. This plus our 10-Factor Talent Scorecard is all it takes to accurately assess job fit and motivation.
- Recruiting and closing. Too many managers think recruiting is selling. It's not. It's about using the performance profile and the interview to demonstrate job growth and career opportunity. Learning how to position the job is the key to attracting and closing the best people without paying unnecessary salary premiums.
All course attendees receive a comprehensive workshop handout, a copy of our Performance-based Evaluation Interview, samples performance profiles, a 60-minute audio summary of performance-based interviewing, and our pocket-sized Performance-based Hiring Hot Tips card.
This is the course that all line managers should take before they interview another candidate. Contact us to learn more.
"Lou is a dynamic presenter and full of knowledge and enthusiasm. It's only the first session and I have already learned new tools, techniques and approaches to improve upon what I am already doing as an experienced and successful Senior Recruiter. I am excited about the next three weeks and am glad to be participating."
Lou Adler is the CEO and founder of The Adler Group – a training and search firm helping companies implement Performance-based Hiring℠. Adler is the author of the Amazon top-10 best-seller, Hire With Your Head (John Wiley & Sons, 3rdEdition, 2007). His most recent book has just been published, The Essential Guide for Hiring & Getting Hired (Workbench, 2013). He is also the author of the award-winning Nightingale-Conant audio program, Talent Rules! Using Performance-based Hiring to Hire Top Talent (2007). Adler is a noted recruiting industry expert, international speaker, and columnist for a number of major recruiting and HR organization sites including SHRM, HRPA, SMA, ERE, LinkedIn, and HR.com.
Bryan Johanson is the COO of the Adler Group, a consulting and training company specializing in hiring process reengineering. He has been consulting and training for the last 8 years with companies as diverse as Mellon Bank, Royal Canadian Bank, Kinecta Federal Credit Union, Arby's Restaurants, Panda Restaurant Group, REI, and the YMCA of the USA. His previous career includes over 15 years experience in management, the majority of which has been in high technology sales and marketing. His leadership experience in start-up companies and Fortune 500 companies has provided him with a unique perspective on the issues of hiring top talent.
Prior to The Adler Group, Mr. Johanson has held positions including Executive Vice President of POWER Hiring, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Enfish Technology, Director of Channel Programs and Services for Novell Inc., and Director of Channel Programs and Strategies for WordPerfect Corporation.
Bryan is the father of eight children and lives and works in Parker, CO.
Kathy is a senior vice president with the Adler Group, focusing on business development and marketing. She is a proven executive with a reputation for developing strategies and tactics to drive revenue and support corporate goals. Kathy has worked with fast-growing technology companies, Fortune 500 companies, and start-ups, with expertise in IPO preparation and mergers and acquisitions. In addition to Hiring Manager training, Kathy provides consulting on Employer Brand Development, Career Site Assessment, and using Social Media tools in Recruiting.
Prior to joining the Adler Group, Kathy was the senior vice president of marketing and product management for Peopleclick, a leading total workforce acquisition solution provider, where she led the strategic direction of Peopleclick's product line and the company's branding and positioning. Previous to Peopleclick, Kathy held VP level roles with companies such as Sodalia North America, (a division of Telecom Italia), FutureNext, and GE Information Services. As VP of Marketing at The Hunter Group, an HR solutions consulting firm, she developed marketing programs that helped fuel a growth in revenue to $135 million from $19 million. Kathy started her career as a trainer for a division of British Telecom.
Kathy has served on the National Advisory Board of the Human Capital Institute and is a member of SHRM and IHRIM. She received a Bachelor of Arts degree in History and International Relations from the College of William and Mary.